Splish Splash






Yesterday afternoon we went to our friend Lisa's house for some sunshine and a swim. The weather was perfect and we had a great visit (the ice cold beer was a treat too). Murray enjoyed splashing around and we even got a smile out of him once or twice. He wasn't quite sure about the sensation of not having a solid bottom, but he didn't hate it either. We'll make a water baby out of him yet!

A friend of our family has taken an interest in my condition. She said that she experienced something like what I am going through when she was thirty. She said she felt like she was 100 years old when performing every day tasks, like getting out of bed or standing up from a sitting or kneeling position (FINALLY, someone who understands). She finally figured out that it was a food allergy that was causing her pain - corn, of all things. Corn chips, corn syrup, corn on the cob; anything corn related would cause a flare up. So, in addition to essentail oils, which have helped tremendously, I am going to start a food diary to see if I can pinpoint a cause. I would be so relieved if something as simple as say, tomatoes, were causing my pain (as long as it's not coffee).
We got on the good nutrition wagon when we found out that I was pregnant. Turned out that Craig needed to work on a couple of minor medical issues too, so we started by (trying) to avoid anything food that is boxed or processed. This was not hard for me at all. I think the only food we ever ate from a box growing up was macaroni and cheese. We always had fresh, whole, foods at our fingertips, and my mom was an excellent cook. I grew up never having tasted rice -a-roni or chef boyardee. Now don't get me wrong, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a box of hamburger helper in the back of the cupboard (it's delicious and easy), but we try to eat those things only when an emergency or serious craving strikes.
We have also been working on eliminating the chemicals that we use in our home. I am such a cleaner, but the products I use are incredibly toxic and very hard on our systems. I have discovered several completely natural products that I am happy with, but am still experimenting. Seventh Generation is one that I like, but we plan to try Maleluca and Norwex as well. This is a rather difficult transition for me, because I worry so much about sanitation. However, the more research I do, the more I realize that I have to stop using harsh chemicals, especially petroleum based.
I realize that we are never going to be perfect, nor will we accomplish all of these changes overnight. But we have to start somewhere, and each time we eliminate a toxin from our home we are making a positive change for our bodies and our earth.

No comments: