Separation Anxiety - Mine or Murray's?

Today was the first day since Murray's transfer to the mobile infant room that he didn't cry when I left him. Our sweet baby just looked at me while I waved a frantic goodbye, smiled, and looked back at his teacher with a big grin. Big sigh of relief for me, though I know there are more tearful mornings ahead. One day at a time.

I have been reading up on separation anxiety theories. Many parents distract baby and sneak out (Craig was doing this until I informed him of the articles I'd been reading). Sneaking away only makes them feel like mom and dad can suddenly disappear, which can be pretty scary for a little one (shoot, I'd be frightened if Craig did that to me). We make a big show of waving, saying goodbye and an "I love you", while briskly walking away, even if Murray is sad. If this morning is any indication, I do believe this tactic is working. But, I'm a firm believer in doing what is best for your particular situation, so if the sneak away method works for you, by all means, go for it. Everyone is different, and different isn't wrong.

I just finished The Second Time Around by Mary Higgens Clark. It was a great suspense novel, but now I'm looking for something a bit more serious. I need a good beach read. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: