To Dress or Not to Dress?

I know the farmers aren't happy with the rain, but I love it. It's a perfect day to cuddle up under a blanket with a hot beverage and read a book or take a nap. Which is exactly what I intend to do this afternoon. I have my first out-patient therapy appointment at 4, but until then, I am going to give myself a little break.

Speaking of therapy, I've been anxiously awaiting this first appointment. It's been 3 weeks since I've been discharged from Prairie, and that was way too long to go without therapy. The evil D has been seeping in again, which in turn causes panic attacks, so I'm really looking forward to meeting my new therapist. Next week I will see Dr. B., the psychiatrist who treats me, so things are really looking up. Is it sad that I'm so excited about therapy? Maybe for some, but I see it as a tool to heal. This process is taking much longer than anticipated, and I've realized that there isn't a magic cure or pill to help. A blogger friend of mine reminded me on Monday (when I blogged about having a "blue" day) to make a list of my blessings. What a fantastic idea. I took her advice and came up with a fairly long list. I felt so much better after, and in turn, remembered to use some of the skills I've acquired at Prairie. Thanks Roxane!


We've been struggling with whether or not to put Murray in a Halloween costume. I go back and forth. My emotional side wants those precious "first Halloween" pictures, but my practical side does not think it's necessary. This may sound cruel; I certainly don't mean it that way. I just don't see the point in dressing him up and hauling him around when he isn't going to remember it anyway. He has some orange pumpkin pj's, and the other day I found some cute baby Halloween hats, so maybe we'll just dress him in this little ensemble and take his picture. If anyone has suggestions of past or future "first Halloweens'", I'd be happy to hear them. By the way is "Halloween" supposed to be capitalized? Spell check says so, but I'm not so sure. . .

Enjoy the rain!

2 comments:

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Marie,
A couple things:
1) Glad the counting of blessings worked. I have a little journal that I've used to write them in -- three each day. Sometimes, one of them goes something like this: I'm glad I'm alive. :) Whatever works to get you on that path.
2)I was just looking through my Halloween costumes and found a cute little pumpkin one that is too small for my kids. I also have a cute pig costume. I thought, who could use these? Both are for a child about the size of your babe. Email me if you'd like to use one and we'll figure out a way to connect. That's the nice thing about living in the same area.
3)Halloween, capitalized, derived from All Hallows Eve, I believe.
4)Therapy is awesome. Everyone should try it. Seriously. Who out there doesn't need to sort through things with a professional every now and again. I feel like, at 40, I am much wiser and healthier than a couple years back because of therapy, so...I share your eagerness for it. There is nothing at all to be ashamed of.
5) Enjoy your nap! It's a nice gift to give yourself, so long as Murray complies, right?

Marie said...

Thanks for the great comments! I do journal each day; just hadn't thought to count blessings. Such a simple, wonderful tool. Also, thanks for the clarification on Halloween. It makes sense. I am in agreement that therapy is awesome. I can't wait to meet my new therapist. As far as my nap, I am being a bit selfish, but left Murray in daycare today. Craig has to work until 4:30, so I would have just had to pick him up and drop him off again. Good thing he loves daycare! Ok, I'm off to sleep for a short while. I will email you about the costume (so it's not public).