I've been thinking a lot lately about why we do what we do. What I mean is, the day to day activites that fill our lives and often leave us breathless. We go to work, we keep our households running, we strive to be good memebers of our community - why? I have a quote that hangs in my kitchen cupboard that says, "For a long time it seemed as though I was waiting for real life to begin. Then I realized that this IS real life." Small or large, daily tasks comprise our lives. They keep us going so that we can spend time with the ones we love. Ironically, sometimes I feel as though all I do is spend time to make time. There has got to be a happy medium, but I'm still searching. For now, I will continue running around like a crazy woman so we can hurry up and relax at the lake this weekend.

Memorial Day weekend has always been the "official" beginning of summer for our family. The lake calls me, and even if it rains, we still go. It means family get togethers, sunny afternoons, and backyard BBQ's. While we still plan to do all of these things this weekend, Memorial Day has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I'm ashamed and embarrassed to admit that I haven't really ever recognized Memorial Day for what it truly is. A day to remember the men and women who fought for our country and those who have passed. Sadly, it has taken the loss of our beloved mom for me to sit back and truly feel grateful for all we are blessed with this Memorial Day. I will enjoy the special time with my family, but I will remember that we wouldn't have these wonderful freedoms if it weren't for those who fought for us.

No comments: