Dazed and Confused

Well, the hard part is done. On Saturday, we drove to Grafton and packed up mom's house. The movers will make the trip on Thursday and bring all of her things to Moorhead. It's a relief, I suppose, but it's also so sad. I'm glad that we waited this long to tackle the task, because I think if we had done it any earlier, it would have been that much more emotional. I didn't expect to laugh as much as we did that day, but I swear, she was with us. Her home was always so organized and uncluttered, but we kept finding odd items stashed away. For instance, she had enough envelopes to send one letter to each troop overseas, and enough candles to light St. Mary's Cathedral. There was an abundance of cords; phone cords, cable cords, computer cords, all wrapped up neatly, but seriously, what the heck do you need that many spare cords for? And blowdryers and curling irons. Lots of those too. Anyway, it went far better than expected, and I'm glad that we were able to do it together. I did find out that Maggie and I are complete oppostites when it comes to packing. Maggie's idea of packing was to clean out a drawer or closet by dumping everything in one box. That meant winter hats were mixed in with a cordless drill and a variety of other miscellaneous items. I kept running around behind her unpacking her boxes and repacking them. It was actually pretty funny - I hope I didn't offend anyone with my bossiness. I'll call it a coping mechanism.

Yesterday we had a lazy, lazy day at home. It was nice. The house is a bit of a disaster right now, but for once, I don't mind. I'm not letting it get to me (I mean it). There are more important things in life, and I'm not going to let it stress me out. I don't know if this is due to the place I'm in right now, of if I'm honestly just starting to get my priorites straight. Time will tell, I guess, and until then, I'll keep on keeping on.

No comments: