Bah, Resolutions

I've never been one to get excited about a new year.  Resolutions?  Not for me.  Too much pressure.  For example: Lose 40 pounds. Go to church more often.  Be a kind person.  Get organized.  Volunteer. 

Etcetera. 

All of the above are great things to resolve to do, achieve, accomplish.  But I find that my New Year's resolutions tend to last for a few days and then are cast aside like a used tissue. 

So, instead of ringing in the new year with promises to myself and others, I strive to be a better person each and every day.  I really do.  There are days when I resolve to do something simple, like smile at a passerby; when in reality, I feel like growling.   Or maybe I'll send DH a short email reminding him that I love him, even if we're arguing. Or, I'll give Rudy some extra TLC, despite the fact that he just had a rabbit for breakfast, and I'm not happy with him. 

Then, there are the bigger resolutions:  Go for a walk.  Reach out to a friend.  Take more time to sit with Murray and play a game, read a book, or sing a song. Stop talking so much and listen.  Slow down.  Help someone in need.  Spend more time praying.  Be kind.  Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and enjoy life.

I'm not perfect. I don't want to be. My "everyday resolutions" often fail. I'm a work in progress.  Aren't we all?


1 comment:

Mel said...

I think those are the perfect kind of resolutions. Just try, every day, to be a little bit better than the day before. When we overwhelm ourselves with big goals at the beginning of the year it can get, well, overwhelming!