Boot Camp

5:00 a.m.
Murray: "Mama, I sleep in your bed?"
Craig and I simultaneously: "No, go back to your own bed until it's wake time."
Murray: "WHAAAAA! I sleep in your bed!"
Craig: "We said no, and when it's wake time we'll come and get you".
Murray: Sounds of stomping back to his room, crying the entire time. He goes back to
bed. . . until. . .

6:00 a.m.
Murray: "It's wake time! Can I have cookies?"
Me: "Not for breakfast, let's find something else to eat before cookies".
Murray: "I WANT COOKIES, MAMA!"
Melt down ensues. Cookies not granted.

This is just a sample of what the weekend was like. We are dumbfounded; what happened to our normally thoughtful, polite child? He was bossy, his manners non-existent, and whiny. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Murray is a very stubborn little boy. Even when we've made it clear that the discussion is closed, he doesn't give up. He'll sit in time out and yell at us as we pretend to ignore him. We thought we were strict, but Murray's behavior of late is proves that we haven't been strict enough. Therefore, 2-year-old boot camp has commenced. We can, and will, take away his birthday party if we have to. Sound harsh? Maybe, but as parents, we are responsible for raising a good, kind, human being. If a strong(er) hand is what it takes, so be it.

No comments: